Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Making Memories and Messes

Ok - for those that know me - I can be a bit of a serious person. No... really, I'm serious! I tend to be like my father and get a little task focused. As a mom, being task focused I sometimes forget that a lot of the joy is in the process, not the end result of the task at hand. So lately, I have been trying to loosen up a bit and laugh a little more. Needless to say, the kids are loving it.

About a week ago they were out playing in the backyard and got off task and suddenly found themselves in the midst of a bunch of mud. Now, normally, I would get quite frustrated and promptly tell them it was time to stop and get cleaned up. This time I caught Abigail off guard. She had a bucket full of mud they were playing with. Very sternly I told her to give it to me and then proceeded to dump the whole bucket on her. After her shock of mommy getting dirty with them, they ran around like crazy wild children until I hosed them down. But, instead of worrying about all the dirt - I chose to make a memory........



Hurricane Ike was on the way and we all headed to Hobby Lobby to get some projects for the day. When was the last time you made paper maiche'?? We decided to make dinosaur eggs for Benjamin's upcoming dinosaur birthday party. What a mess! So while it stormed outside, we busily dripped glue all over the floor and actually got some of it onto the newspaper and balloons.



So.. my lesson lately.... if in doubt, choose the mess as the laughter is sweeter than a clean floor.

3 comments:

Janet said...

Atta girl!!! I am so proud of you!!! I only wish I could have been there to dump some mud on you too. Give those kids a big hug and kiss from their Auntie Janet. Miss them!!

Love, me

Dawn said...

Great choice my friend!!

McKinney Mumblings & Munchkins said...

What a great bunch of memories you are making! Can I come be a kid at your house???